Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Waking up Jesus


This is a photo of Jolly Babirukamu from Uganda. She was my first real connection with the Anglican Women's delegation. She was a calming presence the entire time we were in New York, quiet and wise. I found out that she often assists in training staff for Compassion International, an organization I worked with in the 90s. Jolly is a rock, that was obvious.

On our first day at the UN, following Morning Prayer, we were to make our way across the street, passed security and tried to get in line early for registration and documentation. Early means at least an hour before the UN desk opens for registration. I was at once lost, dazed, and confused after passing the gate into the UN, and she waited for a few of us newbies and took us under wing until we landed in the correct line. So, I got to sit on the floor with her and chat a little.

The Anglican Women were, of course, a little tense as we gathered only one day after the Primates meeting in Dar es Salaam. Were our African sisters friend or foe? And why were we even asking that question? Being one to address the elephant in the room, I gingerly began talking about the church. Jolly gave me no personal opinion, nor did her feathers ruffle and a statement ensue. She looked at me and said, "You know, we need to wake Jesus up."

I've never really thought about waking Jesus up, and the only thing that came out of my mouth was, "Wake Jesus up?" She went on to say that when the storm came and the boat was in danger, the disciples yelled and hollered and woke Jesus up to do something about it before they all went down. She said, "Our boat is sinking and we need to wake Jesus up."

I'm not sure if the other women who had circled around by that time have still been thinking on those words, but they stuck with me. Now, from what I have witnessed over the years, I can tell you that the African church knows how to wake up Jesus. Perhaps, I wonder, we are too quiet? There is a time for quiet contemplation, which is what sustains me, but there is also a time for that desparate, intentional, "Hey! Wake up, we need some help...fast!"

No comments: